C. Christian Beels, M.D., M.S
New York, New York
- Harvard University B. A. , 1953
- University of Rochester SchooI of Medicine and Dentistry M.D., 1960
- Columbia University School of PubIic Health M.S. (Epidemiology), 1980
- 1960-1961 Rotating Intern, Montifiore Hospital, Bronx, N. Y.
- 1961-1963 Resldent in Psychiatry
Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Bronx, N.Y.
- 1963-1964 Chief Resident in Psychiatry Bronx Municipal Hospital, Bronx, N.Y.
- 1964-1966 Clinical Associate, Adult Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental HeaIth, Bethesda, MD
- 1966-1967 Medical Officer, Adult Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD
- 1977 -1980 FeIlow Psychiatric Epidemiology Training Program, Columbia University School of Public Health
- American Psychiatric Association, New York County District Branch
- Washington Psychiatric Association
Bronx Society of Neurology and Psychiatry
- Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on The Family
- American Family Therapy Association
American Association of Marital and Family Therapists (resigned 1990 )
HONORS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Elected member of Council, New York – County District Branch, American Psychiatric Association, 1984-7
- Elected Treasurer, American Family Therapy Association, 1985-88
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Association, 1986
Qualified Supervisor, AAMFT, 1986-1990 .
- Manhattan Bowery Corporation
- Friends and Advocates of the Mentally Ill, Greater New York
- Co-Chairman, Advisory Council, Research and Training Center for the Rehabilitation of the Chronically Mentally Ill, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 1968-1975 Supervising Psychiatrist Bronx State Hospital
- 1969-1972 Chairman, Admissions and Curriculum Committees, Bronx State Residency Tremont Crisis Center
- 1970-1973 Chief of Family Service Bronx State Hospital,
Assistant Director, Family Studies Section Department of Psychiatry, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 1971-1975 Associate Professor of Psychiatry Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 1973-1975 Member, Department of History of Medicine Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 1974-1975 Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry;
- 1975-1992 Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons,Columbia University;
- 1975-87 Director of In-Service Education Washington Heights Community Service, New York State Psychiatric Institute,
Coordinator of Family Therapy Training, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University
- 1981-87 Director, Fellowship in Public Psychiatry New York State Psychiatric Institute
- 1964-1966 U.S. Public Health Service, Senior Surgeon in Clinical Associate Program
PART TIME TEACHING
- 1966-1967 Demonstration seminar in Family Dynamics. Washington School of Psychiatry
- 1975-1976 Three lectures in course on Family Therapy, New York Medical College .
- 1976 Seminar on treatment of Depression In Marital Therapy. Center for Family Learning, New Rochelle, N.Y.
- 1987-89 Seminars and c1in1ca1 conferences at Rockland County Community Mental Health Center, Pomona, N.Y.
- 1988-92 Seminars and clinical conferences in residency training program, Creedmoor Psychiatric Center
- 1991 – Faculty, Ackerman Family Therapy Institute
CONSULTATIONS AND COMMITTEES
- 1967-1969 Family Therapy Consultation Community Service Society, New York, N.Y.
- 1987-1990 Co-chair with Elmer Struening of Committee on Policy for the Long-term Mental Patient, N. Y. State Psychiatric Institute.
- 1987-1991 Chair, Task Force on the Chronic Patient, American Orthopsychiatric Association.
- Family Process; Journal of the American Association of Marital and Family Therapy, Contemporary Family Therapy. Manuscript reviewer for Hospital and Community Psychiatry and Schizophrenia Bulletin.
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
- First National Conference on Teaching of Family Therapy; Leader of Workshop on The State Hospital. Philadelphia, 1972
- American Psychiatric Association; Panel on Teaching History of Psychiatry to Residents. Panel on Context Analysis of Family Therapy. Honolulu, Hawaii, 1973,
- American Orthopsychiatric Association; Institute on Research in Psychosocial Treatment of Schizophrenia. New York City,
- Presentation of Family Therapy as a Native Healing Ceremony. Department of Anthropology Symposium, Columbia University, Discussion of “Father” article on WOR-TV, Channel 9 (New York City), October 24, 1974,
- Presentation of Film: Context Analysis of a Family Interview, to Boston Family Institute. March 15, 1974
- Principal Speaker at a 3-day Conference on Family Therapy for Department of Mental Health, State of Vermont. June 12-15, 1974.
- First International Conference on Non-Verbal Aspects of Psychotherapy, Presentation of FlIm and Discussion July 27-31, 1974.
- Videotape presentation of Family Therapy to Westchester Psychiatric Society, November 20, 1974.
- Grand Rounds Presentation, Roosevelt Hospital, New, York City. January 8, 1975.
- Member: Columbia University Seminar on The Nature of Man, from February 1975.
- The Context Analysis Films, Conference on Culture and Communications, Department of Anthropology, Temple University, Philadelphia. March, 1975.
- Panel: Parenthood — Right or Obligation? Association of the Bar of the City of New York. April 27, 1976.
- Establishing Social Networks in Aftercare. Division of Continuing Education, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, State University of New York at Stony Brook and University Psychiatry Service, Veterans Administration Hospital. Northport. June 4, 1976.
- Grand Rounds, N. Y. State Psychiatric Institute: Multiple Family Groups and the Treatment of Chronic Schizophrenia. November 12, 1976,
- – Repeated, Grand Rounds, University of Rochester. January 5, 1977.
- Workshop on Approach to the Psychotic Level Family, Center for Family Learning. February 26, 1977.
- Workshop on Depression and the Three-Generation Family, American Orthopsychiatry Association, New York City. April 14, 1977 .
- Panel on Hospitals Without Walls, American Orthopsychiatry Association, New York City. April 15, 1977.
- Three-Day Conference with Staff of Georgia Mental Health Institute. Presentation Methods of Care and Teaching in Community Psychiatry. Atlanta, Georgia. April 25-28, 1977.
- Schizophrenia and Social Network. Presentation to District Branch Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association December, 1978
- Social Networks and Schizophrenia – Grand Rounds Presentation at Brookview Hospital in Brooklyn, New York;
Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York; University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah; and
North Central Bronx Hospital, Bronx, New York., all in 1978-1979.
- “Social Networks” at Newer Strategies Meeting of District Branch of the American Psychiatric Association, New York City. November 1, 1980.
- Keynote Speaker: “Recent Developments in the Family Treatment of Schizophrenia” – Conference at Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Institute, January. 1981.
- Family Therapy of Schizophrenia – Grand Rounds Presentations at Brookdale Hospital, Brooklyn, New York; Maimonides Community Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York; Harlem Hospital Center, New York City; Manhattan Psychiatric Center, New York City; Center for Family Learning, New Rochelle, New York; Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York; Sound View – Throggs Neck Community Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York; and Creedmoor Psychiatric Center, Queens Village, New York. 1980-1982.
- Co-Director with Dr. William McFarlane – Two-Day International Conference on Family Approaches to Schizophrenia, Columbia University. April, 1981.
- Keynote Speaker, Conferences on Networking, Rochester Psychiatric Center, December, 1981; South Beach Psychiatric Center, April, 1982
- Recent Developments in the Family Therapy of Schizophrenia Grand Rounds presentations, Beth Israel Medical Center, Long-Island-Jewish-Hillside Medical Center, Downstate Medical Center, Kingsboro Psychiatric Center, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984.
- The Invisible Village: Keynote address at the Community Support System Evaluation Project’s conference on the Day Hospital, February 1983. Repeated as Grand Rounds presentation at Manhattan Psychiatric Center, as guest speaker at Futura House, White Plains, N. Y., and as keynote address at First Annual Pennsylvania Conference on Schizophrenia, Philadelphia, March 1986. Also presented as a speech to the Friends and Advocates of the Mentally Ill, New York, October 1986
- Family Therapy part of the APA Course on the Young Adult Chronic Patient, APA Meeting May 1983,
- Presentation at the 1984 Scientific Meeting of the New York State Chapter, American Assn. of Psychiatric Administrators: Systems Theory and Psychiatric Administration.
- All-day Presentations on Social Therapies for Chronic Patients and their Families, with talks and workshops, sponsored by Coastal Community Counseling Center, Braintree, Mass. (Given at Harvard University), February 1984, at Carrier Foundation, Belle Mead, N.J. November, 1985, Berkshire Mental Health Center, Pittsfield, Mass., May, 1985, Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center, June, 1986, and Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center, January 1987.
- Talk on “The Disturbed Adolescent in His Family”, Rockland Children’s Psychiatric Center, Orangeburg, N. Y., October, 1984
- Talk on “Treatment of Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia through Environmental Manipulation” at the annual Newer Strategies Conference, New York State Psychiatric Assn., November 1985.
- Interview of Family at Grand Rounds, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital, May 1985, and at Creedmoor Psychiatric Center, Queens, N. Y., November 1985
Two Models of Rehabilitation with Chronic Patients – Grand Rounds at Manhattan Psychiatric Center, March 1985.
- Course entitled “Social Processes in Psychiatry” at Columbia Department of Psychiatry Residency Training Program, 1977 – 92.
- Addresses and workshops in collaboration with Margaret Newmark on the Social therapies for, and psychoeducational approach to schizophrenia, in Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, Australia, 1989.
- Ader, R., Beels, C.C., Tatum, R. Blood pepsinogen and gastric erosions in the rat. Psychosomatic Medicine, Vol. XXII, No. 1:1-3, January-February, 1960.
- Ader, R., Tatum, R., Beels, C.C. Social Factors affecting emotionality and resistance to disease in animals: I. Age of separation from the mother and susceptibility to gastric ulcers in the rat. Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, Vol. 53, 5:446-454, 1960.
- Ader, R., Tatum, R., Beels, C.C. Social factors affecting emotionality and resistance to disease in animals: II. Susceptibility to gastric ulceration as a function of interruptions in social interactions and the time at which they occur. Journal of comparative and Physiological Psychology, Vol. 53, 5:454-484, 1960.
- Beels, C.C. Book Review: Psychotherapy for the Whole Family (A. Friedman, ed. ) and Multiple impact therapy with families (R. MacGregor, ed.), in Psychiatry, 306-311, August, 1967
- Beels, C.C. and Ferber, A.S. Family Therapy: a view’ Family Process, Vo1. 8: 2:280-331, September, t969′
Ferber, A.S., Bee1s, C.C. Changing family behavior programs. International Psychiatric Clinics, (N. Ackerman, ed. ), Vol. 7:27-55, 1970.
- Sander, F., Beels, C.C, A didactic course for family therapy trainees. Family Process, 9; 4:411-423, December, 1970
- Massie, H., Beels, C.C. Family Therapy of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 6:24-37, 1972.
- Beels, C.C., Ferber, J., Schoonbeck, J. Film, Context Analysis of Family Therapy, Part I Adult Positions. Eastern Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute, Psychological Cinema Register. 40 minutes.
- Beels, C.C. A social network treatment system for chronic psychosis. The Family, VoI. 1, 2:12-24, 1973
- Beels, C.C. Whatever happened to father? New York Times Magazine, August 27, 1974. 9 Pages.
- Beels, C.C. Book Review: Nature and Treatment of schizophrenia. by T. Lidz. Social Casework, 56:392-292, 1975
- Beels, C.C. Family and social management of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, Summer, 1975.
- Beels, C.C. Case of the vanishing mommy. New York Times Magazine, July 4, 1976. 14 pages.
- Beels, C.C. Social Networks, The Family and the schizophrenic Patient, schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol. 4, No. 4, 512-521, 1978
- Beels, C.C. Social Networks and Schizophrenia, Psychiatric Quarterly, Vol. 51, 3:209-215, 1979.
- Beels, C.C. Social Support and Schizophrenia, Schizophrenia Bulletin, 7:58-72, 1981.
- Beels, C,C. Social Networks and the Treatment of Schizophrenia, International Journal of Family Therapy, 3: 310-316, 1981.
- Beels, C.C. Introduction to Vine, Phyllis, Families in Pain, Pantheon, 1982.
- Beels, C.C., McFarlane, Family Treatment of Schizophrenia, Background and State of the Art, Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 33:541-591, 1982.
- Beels, C.C. Overview of Family and Network Therapy, chapter in Sadock and Kaplan (eds.), Comprehensive Group Psychotherapy, 2nd Ed. Williams and Wilkins. 1983.
- Beels, C.C. Introduction and two chapters in McFarlane, W. (ed. ) Family Treatment of Schizophrenia, Guilford Press, 1983.
- Beels, C.C., Gutwirth, L., Berkley, J., Struening, E. The Measurement of Social Support in Schizophrenia, Schizophrenia Bulletin 10:399-411, 1984.
- McFarlane, W. and Beels, C. C., Chapter on “Family Intervention in psychoses: the role of the family physician” in Principles of Family Systems. in Family Medicine, Henao, S., and Grose, N.P., editors, Brunner/Mazel, New York, 1985.
- Beels, C. C. Chapter on Family Therapy, Textbook of Psychiatry, Talbott, J. A., Hales R. E., and Yudofsky, S. C., editors, American Psychiatric Press, Washington 1988.
- Beels, C. C. and Bachrach, L. L., editors of Survival Strategies for Public Psychiatry, VoI. 42 in New Directions for Mental Health Services, Lamb, H. R., ed., Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1989
- Beels, C. C., “Preface” in above.
- Beels, C. C. , “The Invisible Village” in above.
- Vine, P. and Beels, C. C., Chapter 18, “Support and Advocacy Groups for the Mentally IlI.” Pp. 387-405 in Handbook of Schizophrenia Vol. 4. (Psychosocial Treatment of Schizophrenia), Hertz, M. I., Keith, S. J., and Doherty, J. P., eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam 1990.
- Beels, C. C. , Commentary to Ch. 7, Teaching Psychiatrists about the Family’s Experience, in Families as Allies in the Treatment of the Mentally Ill. H.P. Lefley and D.J. Johnson, eds., American Psychiatric Press, Washington. DC, 1990.
- Madigan, S., An Interview with Chris Beels, pp. 13-23 in “Schizophrenia, Some Views and Experiences,” special issue of the Dulwich Centre Newsletter No. 4., Adelaide, Australia, 1991.
- Beels, C. C., and Newmark, M., The Scientific Metaphor, in American Family Therapy Association Newsletter, Spring 1991.
- Beels, C. C. , Commentary on Boscolo and Bertrando, Family Process, Vol. 31, pp. 131-134, June 1992.
- Beels, C. C. , The Uses of Diagnosis, A Commentary, Family Process, Vol. 32, pp. 405-408, 1993.
- Newmark, M. and Beels, C. C., The Misuse and Use of Science in Family Therapy, Family Process, VoI. 33, pp. 3-18, 1994.
- Beels, C. C. A Different Story: The Rise of Narrative in Psychotherapy. Zeig, Tucker & Theissen, Phoenix, AZ, 2001.
- Beels C. C., Afterword, in McFarlane, W., ed., The Multifamily Group, Guilford, 2001.
- Beels, C. C., Notes for a Cultural History of Family Therapy, Family Process, Vol. . 41, pp. 67-82, 2002
- Beels, C. C. and Newmark, Margaret, “Oversimplifying Schizophrenia”, book review of Whitaker, Robert, Mad in America, in Psychotherapy Networker, pp. 63-4, March/April 2003.
- Beels, C . C . and Newmark, Margaret, Invited Commentary – Sacrifice: A Clinical View, Family Process, Vol. 45, pp. 305-332, 2006.
- Beels, C. C., Some Historical Conditions of Narrative Work, Family Process 48:363-378, 2009.
- Beels, C. C., Family Process,1962-69, 50:4-11, 2011.